Waterproofing is a process that is used to prevent water from penetrating a surface or structure, such as basements, foundations, roofs, and decks, to keep them dry and prevent water damage. Waterproofing can be applied to both interior and exterior surfaces and it’s essential for the preservation of buildings and structures.
Reasons To Hire a Waterproofing Contractor
There are many reasons why it’s important to hire a contractor in Singapore like Flux to do waterproofing. First and foremost, waterproofing is a complex process that requires specialized knowledge, tools, and equipment. A professional contractor will have the necessary experience and expertise to properly assess the needs of your specific structure and to properly apply the waterproofing materials and methods that are best suited to your structure.
Another reason to hire a contractor is that they will have the necessary licenses, certifications, and insurance to carry out the work safely and to comply with all relevant regulations. Also, a contractor will be able to advise on the best waterproofing method based on the condition of the structure, the age of the building and the budget.
Tools Used in Waterproofing
Different tools are used depending on the method applied, some of the most common tools include:
- Brush and rollers: To apply coatings and paint.
- Trowels: To smooth and level surfaces.
- Caulk gun: To apply sealant
- Power mixer: To mix and blend materials.
- Concrete saw or wet saw: To cut concrete, tile and other materials.
- Safety gear: To protect the workers from hazards
Signs You Need Waterproofing Services
There are several signs that you may need to do waterproofing, some of the most common include:
- Water stains or dampness on walls or floors, indicating that water is penetrating the surface.
- Cracks or holes in walls or floors, which can allow water to penetrate the surface.
- Peeling or bubbling paint, which can indicate that water is penetrating the surface.
- Musty odors, which can indicate the presence of mold or mildew.
- The growth of mold or mildew, which can be caused by water penetrating the surface.
- Water pooling in or around the foundation or basement.
- Efflorescence, white salt deposits on the surface of walls, indicating the presence of moisture.
How Much Does It Cost to Waterproof?
The cost of waterproofing in Singapore can vary depending on several factors, such as the size and complexity of the project, the materials and methods used, and the location of the property. On average, the cost of waterproofing a balcony or terrace in Singapore can range from $500 to $3000, while the cost of waterproofing a basement can range from $3000 to $15000. The cost of waterproofing a flat roof can range from $1000 to $5000. The cost of waterproofing a pitched roof can range from $2000 to $8000.
It’s worth noting that the cost of waterproofing may also be affected by factors such as the condition of the existing surface, the type of surface that needs to be waterproofed, and any additional services such as mould removal, cracks repair and others. It’s always recommended to have different quotes from different contractors and compare the service, the materials and the cost.
It’s also important to note that hiring a professional waterproofing contractor is an investment, it will protect your property and increase its value, and it can also prevent costly repairs and prolong the life of the structure in the long run.
In conclusion, waterproofing is an essential process that is used to prevent water from penetrating a surface or structure, keeping them dry and preventing water damage. A professional contractor will have the necessary experience, knowledge and equipment, and will comply with all relevant regulations, to ensure the waterproofing is done properly. There are different methods and tools used for waterproofing, and it is important to keep an eye out for the signs that indicate that waterproofing is needed. Not only that but hiring a contractor can save you time and money in the long run, by preventing costly repairs and prolonging the life of the structure. Check out Flux as they are one of the best contractor offering waterproofing in Singapore.